Prepare for a career that is in demand! Work with the latest technology! Earn certifications that will put you ahead in the job market!
Environmental Controls Technology Tech Prep, a two-year high school program, prepares students in the field of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration. Students will experience job estimating, installation and service of refrigeration systems, controls, mechanical components and general heating systems; and diagnostics and problem solving in their lab.
Environmental Controls Technology will prepare students with the mathematics, science and technical skills to construct, install and service a wide variety of heating ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration in residential, industrial and commercial facilities.
Tech Prep programs offer students the opportunity to earn college credits while in high school. A $3,000 Tech Prep Scholarship through the Miami Valley Tech Prep Consortium to Sinclair Community College is available to students who meet the eligibility requirements.
Subjects studied and applied include basic electricity; electric motors; wiring circuits; basic electronics pipe and tubing; refrigeration cycle; heating controls; air conditioning controls; gas heating; electric heating, oil furnaces; heat pumps and load calculations. EPA 608 & 410A Certification tests will be given. Expectations for the future are excellent, due largely to retirements and experienced workers leaving the labor force.
An example of some of the many competencies gained:
- Appraise the fundamental concepts of human comfort
- Analyze and measure electrical values
- Troubleshoot single phase, split phase and three phase circuits and devices
- Analyze the mechanical refrigeration cycle and components
- Identify and perform soldering and brazing procedures
- Demonstrate specialized environmental controls technology test equipment and tools
- Install, service and repair refrigeration and air conditioning equipment
- Identify and install forced air heating systems • Troubleshoot and service heating systems
- Assess sheet metal standards and materials and demonstrate procedures
- HVAC installer
- HVAC technician
- Refrigeration installer
- Service technician
- Refrigeration technician
- HVAC Engineer (with further education)
Career-Technical Student Organization
Students in this program participate in SkillsUSA, a Career-Technical Student Organization serving students in Secondary and Post-Secondary Industrial Engineering and Health Career Training programs in Ohio and the U.S.
For more information, contact instructor Deon Gephart at 513-932-5677 ext. 5223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.