Medical billers and coders are responsible for assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures in order to ensure proper financial reimbursement from insurance companies and government agencies. Employment of health information technicians is projected to grow 22% from 2012-2-22, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services is expected to increase as the population ages. Medical billers and coders, also called insurance coders or claims specialists, use a universally recognized coding system and must ensure correct code selection for compliance with federal regulations and insurance requirements. Students are required to complete an 80 hour unpaid externship in an area clinic or medical office. The externship is scheduled after all course work is completed.
• High School diploma or GED
• Complete the WorkKeys assessment
• Attend an Orientation meeting with the Program Coordinator
Required Prior to Externship:
• Pass FBI/BCI background check
• Required immunizations: Physical with TB (one-step) skin test & flu vaccine
• Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS)
• Health Care Provider CPR/First Aid
• WCCC Certificate of Program Completion
College Credit Available:
Contact the program coordinator for details.
• Application Fee - $60 (non-refundable)
• Tuition: $9,360 (Includes: textbooks, 1 set of scrubs, FBI/BCI background check, testing fee. Program fees subject to change due to unanticipated price increases.)
Program Start Dates:
Monday thru Thursday 5:00-10:00pm
Call the Program Coordinator: 513-932-8145, Ext. 5340
See the How to Enroll in a Full Time Program section of the Adult Education website for details.
Are you interested in this program, but need to brush up on your academic skills? Check our our new FREE program, College & Career Prep!
See more information on our Greentree Health Science Academy: http://www.greentreehealthacademy.org/