This program is fully accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
The State of Ohio Approved Phlebotomy Technician’s primary role is to collect blood for accurate and reliable test results. A phlebotomist can work in diverse health care settings and with all levels of health care professionals, from the physician to support staff. Employment of phlebotomist is projected to grow 27% from 2012-2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. Hospital, diagnostic laboratories, blood donor centers, and other locations will need phlebotomists to perform blood work. This course will provide the phlebotomy student with a working knowledge of collecting blood while emphasizing patient safety, quality assurance, universal and standard precautions. Lab time involving actual veinpunctures is embedded in each class.
In addition to the coursework, students must complete an 80-hour unpaid externship. The externship is scheduled after all coursework is completed. Students will earn their CPT (Certified Phlebotomy Technician) certificate from the NHA (National Healthcareer Association). This program is located on the WCCC Atrium Campus.
• High School diploma or GED® or equivalent
• WorkKeys assessment
• Attend an orientation meeting with the program coordinator
Required Prior to Externship:
• Pass FBI/BCI background check
• Required immunizations: Current Physical with TB (2-step), Hepatitis B Series, 2-MMR vaccines or titer, flu vaccine, and Tetanus.
Please note: WCCC does not require proof of COVID-19 vaccination. However, all of WCCC's partner clinical and externship sites do require the vaccination. Therefore, in order to complete the program, you will be required at some point to show your vaccination card.
- Employment Requirements:
• 18 years old
• High School Diploma or GED®
• Most facilities require 50-75 successful sticks
• Certification from an accredited training program
• Health Care Provider CPR
• Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)
• WCCC Certificate of Program Completion
• Tuition: $1,965 + $75 Application and WorkKeys fee
Includes: Application, WorkKeys assessment, textbook, 1 set of scrubs, FBI/BCI background check, testing fee
*Program fees are subject to change due to unanticipated price increases.
Program Start/End Dates:
- May 2 - July 20, 2023
- September 5, 2023 - November 21, 2023
*Note: The 80-hour externship is scheduled after the program end date.
Information on all medical programs HERE.
Are you interested in this program, but need to brush up on your academic skills? Check out our FREE program, College & Career Ready
Teresa Orloff, Program Coordinator: 513-932-8145 ext. 5356 or email [email protected]